The aim of this programme is to enable learners to pathway into higher level studies in English or obtain minimal level of English to participate in workplace or community activities in a supported environment. The target group(s) are school leavers, international students and new migrants who want to improve their English language skills to communicate in their work or study, cultural and social environment.
Learners who intend to use English as an additional language, this qualification will enhance minimal knowledge of English. When candidates complete this qualification, graduates should leave the ability to understand and communicate using acceptable vocabulary to some level. This qualification allows language skills of basic, short memorised spoken phrases; understand short basic predictable spoken phrases; understand small range of individual words. This qualification will also allow graduates to pathway to New Zealand Certificate in English Language 1881 Level 2.
The main content of the programme is developing Learners essential skills in reading speaking, writing and listening. They will learn in an individual and as well as in a group situation to build their self-confidence.
- 27981 – Read and understand basic texts for practical purposes (EL)
- 27982 – Read and understand basic texts on very familiar topics (EL)
- 27988 – Participate in basic spoken personal exchanges (EL)
- 27989 – Participate in basic everyday spoken transactions (EL)
- 27990 – Participate in basic spoken instructional interactions (EL)
- 27996 – Write basic texts on very familiar topics (EL)
- 27997 – Write basic texts for practical purposes (EL)
- 4 intakes per year
- 6 Months